Chess: The Very Last One. . . Until Next Year

Soooooo... I didn't really get this done on time, however this is partly because I knew I would be revisiting this project in the new year. The chess set I am going to make will be solid maple, and walnut, to match a board I made in high school. in order to make this happen, I will be CNCing the wood, flipping it, and then CNCing the other side, so that after I cut away the supports, I am left with one solid chess piece. Unfortunately, the aesthetics I am shooting for are going to happen in the CNC, so the models I have are fairly plain.



However, because the King's geometry is actually 4 sided instead of two, I will have to cut a block that is exactly the same size on all four sides, so that I can repeat the same function 4 times on the same block. This I think will be really challenging because of how the supporting material relates to 3 dimensions instead of 2. 

anyway, it's been real, stay tuned in the new year to see how the actual carving goes. 

Comments

Popular Posts