Tessellated Surface Model

 Howdy Y'all,

Here's a quick post about my tessellated surface model. I won't go as in depth on the definition as I did for the cribbage board as I don't think its quite as interesting. 


I started out with this super simple six sided shape, but when I tiled it...


It's the Mercedes logo! originally I was going to scrap the idea and start again, but then I thought perhaps one of my friends who watch F1 would like this, so what the hell, I'll make some brand merch for kicks. 


The main issue I had to solve in this pattern was the very small points of contact between each of the logos. I solved this in the drawing so that it wouldn't become a problem later. All I did was a small fillet between the shapes to form a small connecting section instead of coincident points. 


after that I divided into an easily tileable section...

and then extruded that shape, and used the mesh brep command in grasshopper to convert it into something more easily useable. Then I used the surface morph command we had practiced in class and a simple vase I had made using loft to generate this.



Here's a shot of the definition as it's set up to make this animation:





The only issue that I ran into when we printed this project, was that the inside of the structure became very filled with support material. Because the structure had a lot of small connecting points, when I would reach in to cut away the support material, many of these points would break. By the time I was done cutting away the support material, the model was pretty damaged from it's original glory. It's still pretty awesome though, all things considered. 




thanks for reading along! 

Comments

Popular Posts