Ceramic Print

Hi all,

This is the last required blog post for this course, which is sad, but at least its a good one. This week we were put into groups to come up with a ceramic print between two different groups from the previous project. We settled on the Idea of a very geometric vase with a more smooth organic hole carved out of it. It was actually really quick to come together, after we all agreed on what we were doing. Emily got me the initial vase in about 1 day or less, and I had already created a hole negative to subtract from the vase. However, after this was done Zach brought up some valid concerns about the object not quite working together with the sharp edges on the model contrasting harshly with the smooth hole. Between the two of us we decided to wait and see how it came out in clay as it would obviously have some smoother properties than a digital model. After it printed I think all four of us agreed that it was a nice success, with the clay medium smoothing out some of the harsh edges mentioned earlier. as a personal side note this is definitely the machine I'm most intersted in working with in the future. I really enjoy the connection to really old tachnologies that exist in ceramics. Thanks for reading this semester I've had a blast in this course, seeing everything we've all made has been incredibly cool.


P.S. I will be making one additional blog post to fill you in on what all happened with my photography assignment. This invloves how I redesigned and 3D printed a new reel for developing cut negatives. Stay tuned if you're interested.





Comments

Popular Posts