The Paper pen project

Hey everybody. What follows is my paper craft project, although in a cruel twist I no longer have an object. Although that will be explained in my lengthy Youtube video at the bottom. I don't have a huge amount of still frames to show you, but I do have a long video (30 minutes). You do not have to watch the whole thing if you don't want to, but it does thoroughly cover what happened along the way if you are interested. Basically the design was super simple; tubes, cones, a dam, and a nib, but it's simplicity came with some challenges. like "how do I dam it enough to write properly but to so much that no ink comes out at all", or "how do I make a watertight vessel out of paper", even the simple "how do I make this small paper structure hold a writing nib well enough to write with," took some time. I used Never-Wet, which is basically a hydrophobic coating designed to only repel water. I wasn't sure how well it would work, but it really surprised me, which you can see at the end of the video. After the structure was built I made a small paper wick just by rolling a piece of printer paper and cutting it to length. with the wick in I dammed the opening around it with paper soaked in super glue (easy to use and non-watersoluable), so that the only channel for ink to flow through was the paper wick itself. Lastly the nib sat in between two overlapping cones on the end of the body, and in the later revision had a paper feed attached to it to better direct the ink to the tip. I kept the whole thing white because I thought that was kind of the point with this object, so that you knew it was paper when you held it and you could think to yourself  "this really shouldn't work." And the middle revision (before it died on the last try) really was that. it had a super clean outside, the gross working parts were all hidden and it really worked. Anyway here are the images of the first two written pages (the ones that actually worked) followed by my long youtube video.

                           

Comments

Popular Posts