Starting Out with Grasshopper

 Howdy Humans, here's what I've been up to. It's been a long time since my last OBDF class, but I'm stoked to be back and making things again. 


This week was just an introduction in grasshopper starting with some simple follow along videos, and then the challenge of generating our own riff on what was covered.

We started out with drawing a few lines and then using both Divide, and Divide length commands to learn the difference between these two. 

W then switched to using a BiArc command, which initially gave me this, but I eventually got it flipped around to make more of a dome structure.


we also used a loft command, and then this nifty demo of the gradient tool, to demonstrate the length of different lines within the definition. 




After I was done with the tutorials, I kind of wanted to see what kind of geometry I could whip up without first drawing anything in rhino. It's a bit painstaking to draw all your lines in Grasshopper, but it is kinda neat to try.


I built out some simple lines from the origin, and then I played around with the divide length tool to create uniform distances between points within the "cone". 
This worked okay, however there are points that are vey close together. potentially a better solution would've been to generate a spiral drawing, rather than a series of joined arcs. After this all I did was generate some basic shapes on each individual point, creating some strange merged objects.


The flexibility of the sliders in Grasshopper allowed me to rapidly change the shapes, spacing, and size of the cone, without any real labor.



cheers guys, see you in a bit.


Comments

Popular Posts