Paper Crafty

This post is a little overdue so there should be a reasonable amount of information. I was going to model my papercraft project after Li Hongbo's sculptures, but I had another idea after we were instructed to think of things of things from our daily lives. A pen! an actual life size pen made only of paper. I thought it might have just been a fluky idea, but the more I thought about it, the more I began to love it. so for the concept generation I immediately started making a pen. and I got to about here on the first try. I apologise in advance, I unfolded and saved all of these shapes without a rendered view of the original. at the very least you can still (hopefully) understand the shape, and of course see the unfolding process.

Now It wasn't bad but it was about 6 different shapes unfolded, which took me about 45 minutes and I didn't even get around to unfolding the last one. with that in mind, I made a few more, much less complicated shapes. 
 A pop can
 A simple gift box
And this is a disposable coffee cup with a sleeve. After these were done I went back to making a different design of my pen. I also made a decision to at least try to make the pen functional. this meant I needed to design something that would hold fluid ink, hold a calligraphy nib, and restrict the flow of ink just enough so that it would flow out continuously at rate good enough to write with, but not so fast as to flood the page with ink. here's what emerged. 
here's how it works. all of the rectangular shapes fold around into 10 sided tubes that form the body, lid, and ink cartridge. The smallest two form the ink cartridge, and need to be watertight. the two cone shapes that are in the middle serve to channel the ink towards the paper. In between the first and second cone shape there will be a calligraphy nib to write with. If I am overly successful,and for whatever strange reason none of this is difficult(which I do not, in any way expect), I will attempt to recreate even the metal nib in a paper substitute. the real awesome thing happened today just after class when I found out that the coating I used actually worked. So, as a closing note, enjoy and keep an eye out in two weeks when I put up the finished product. 

Comments

Popular Posts