Objectified response

 This is the design that I have made in response to the film Objectified. It is a butter knife with a removable end that serves as a stand if the blade of the knife is less than clean. Ideally the the backing piece would be magnetic, therefore keeping it in place when not utilized as a stand. Really I just thought about making peanut butter sandwiches and never having somewhere to put the knife in between sandwiches. (continued below)

This Knife although really simple, and I will admit, poorly executed due to my lack of knowledge, really exemplifies one of my favorite parts of the film. The piece I am referring to is almost at the very beginning of the film with a man named Andrew Blauvelt. In his opening segment Blauvelt describes the features of a Japanese  toothpick and how the back end both signifies that the pick has been used when it is removed and that it becomes a rest for the pick to sit on. I strongly agreed with Blauvelt when he stated that these features where both part of a good design and signified the culture which it originated from. I can totally see the Japanese culture we often associate with efficiency being responsible for a 1mm segment of broken wood that signals the usage of a toothpick as well as providing a clean place to rest it, all while requiring only a tiny cut at the back of the pick. In paying tribute to this design I decided to make a similar object of both efficiency and simplicity. and so I produced the peanut butter knife designed specifically for multiple clean and delicious sandwiches.

Comments

Popular Posts